Sunday, September 27, 2015

Hello.

And Welcome to my newest endeavor.

My name is Muin, and some few of the stains on my personality are, but not limited to, being a jeweler, metal worker, medievalist, and teacher where these things are concerned.

Why?

I blame a quirk of genetics that gave me artistic talent in a family filled with musicians. (And, oh, the JOY that was, being the only kid in the family who played no instruments, nor could I sing in key...joy...yeah...) Also, I blame the movie "Conan the Barbarian". (1982...)

My parents took me to see the film. The opening scenes were of Conan's father forging a sword.*

I was so entrance by the idea of making my own sword, I improvised a forge using the woodstove in my parents' living room, and tried to make one for myself. ** The results were ugly. Ugly beyond reason. But, I had achieved "forged sword". I had changed the form, and temper, of the metal.***

After my period of being grounded ended, my parents and some of my teachers threw me into some advance art classes where I received actual instruction in real methods of metal working. (Other art forms, as well. But, metals had become my love.

From that point on, I spent much of my waking efforts working on metal, and learning new (to me) and interesting ways to work on metal.

In my early twenties, I began to study the history of metalworking techniques.

Someday I may complete my studies. ****

For now, this blog will be my poorly constructed clanging gong to let folks know what I am working on.

Cheers.






* Poorly. In ways that made no sense at all. Honestly, looking back, it was a horrible representation.  But, I was twelve, so...

** Kids, seriously, don't try this at home...your parents will lose their shit. If you're lucky, that's all they will lose.

*** Not really for the better...I was twelve.

**** A few days after death takes me...maybe...

No comments:

Post a Comment